Thursday, January 12, 2012

SpongeBob Comes to Visit

Lately it seems like I am in the Sponge Zone.  I made SpongeBob journal for my daughter's friend yesterday.  I  will be posting that soon.  And this card for a friend's daughter today.  I saw a cute idea for a Spongebob that sits on this website.  I decided I wanted my SpongeBob to not only sit, but open.  My engineer hubby would be proud of me for figuring out how to do this.  Thanks to Cricut Craft Room, it was relatively simple, and my card opens in a unique way.  Lots of welding on this, as well as lots of carts and paper piecing, but I love the result.  I hope my little 10 year old pal likes it too!

This is my card closed and lying on the floor....note the score  marks where his pants legs meet his pants...these allow him to sit
This is my card open....just the sponge head swings out...his collar and tie are adhered between the layers of white and yellow
This is my base..I wrote "tape this side to back of card" so it was easy to identify...I also weighted the base by taping two quarters to the inside of it...Bob has a big head and is rather heavy for a sponge
Here he is sitting against his stand....I have to mail him and I didn't think it would hold up well to attach these two pieces now.  I also wanted to give my little friend the option to keep it flat as a card or be able to stand it up for a while on her dresser if she chooses.  

My family will think I am nuts for making a card that  needs directions, so I think I'll leave that part out when I show 'em. ;)  

Thanks for visiting us here in Binki Bottom.  We are having quite the rain storms.  I am glad it's not snow.  I know many of you can't say that today.  Stay safe....and dry!




15 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I like the way it opens too. Haven't tried the Cricut Craft Room yet. Need to do that soon! :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is the best Sponge Bob ever! It's totally perfect, clever and fun. What a great idea to include a "mailable" stand; you are an engineering diva! And I am certain that one 10 year old will definitely be doing the happy dance when she receives it! WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea..." This is the absolute cutest SpongeBob, Diane!! He makes me happy!! You did a fabulous job with the design and figuring out how to make him sit!! But now thanks to you, that theme song will be going through my head all night :O

    Lisa :)
    indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are quite an engineer indeed. Are you sure you picked the right profession? Hmmm...

    I hope your little friend will understand all the instructions (because her mom is puzzled):) It might take longer to figure out this Sponge Guy than her new computer. But I know for sure she will appreciate it because she already knows it takes forever to make a single Spongebob cut and layered together.
    Did you make a new tongue twister? I made a journal for my daughter's friend and a card for my friend's daughter and I would not make a card for my friend's daughter if I did not make a journal for my daughter's friend. Say this 5 times and go to bed, don't forget your pink glasses for your pink dreams!!!!

    And thanks for everything!
    Love,
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...what a fabulous Sponge Bob (and now I won't be able to get that stinkn' theme song outta my head)! You certainly deserve an honorary Engineering Degree! He really is quite amazing and my grandchildren would be totally in love with your cute little guy! Lots of time, details and love went into this creation and it shows...he looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable Sponge Bob card Diane!! He totally makes me smile-such a happy card! Great job on getting him to sit and open..love your creativity!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is soooo STINKIN' CUTE! I made a Spongebob card a few years ago... right after the cartridge came out cause my youngest wanted to have a card for his older brother.... I welded mine in Design Studio... It came out cute but certainly not as CUTE or instructed as yours! :o) I actually like yours wayyy better! NO rain or snow here in Utah! Thank goodness... We haven't had any in awhile... I LOVE that.... but I know it won't last... try and stay dry! :o)

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is way too cute!!!! You are so beyond talented! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant! How clever of you to figure it all out! And I broke into a huge grin the minute I saw SpongeBob smiling at me!! Great job, Diane!
    We've had snow the past couple of days but today is bright and sunny. However, the sun is deceiving as it's -24 degrees outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. My. GOODNESS!!!! This is absolutely ADORABLE!!! Your layering is faulous too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun creation! Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a fabulous breakfast and week too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is terrific! You are so talented...I have trouble following tutorials sometimes. You aced this one, Diane. I really must figure out how to use Cricut Craft Room...and my Gypsy too :) Great Sponge Bob card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cute!

    http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Cute. Charlotte would love this one. She Loves Bob Bob(That's what she calls him)

    ReplyDelete