Thursday, February 23, 2012

The More Candles, The Bigger the Wish

Made this card and gift bag for my brother, whose name is not Face. ;)  My brother, Dave, has Downs Syndrome and is the most amazing person I know...and he's a lot of fun.  The Face written on the tag is short for Funny Face....as in Uncle Funny Face.  He came to see me when my first daughter was born 19 years ago and I told him I was going to train her to call him Uncle Funny Face.  He's reaction was, of course, you better not.  That was all I needed.  All 3 of my kids call him Uncle Funny Face.  And I call him Face for short.  Years ago, he sent my daughter a birthday card and signed it "Uncle Fanny Face."  He almost sealed his fate.  He is lucky I didn't give him a new nickname, don't you think?!  Dave turned 42 on Valentine's Day.  He was supposed to only be here for about 14 years, according to the doctors when he was born.  He is a gift...an eternal kid...and we are lucky to have  had him for so  long.  Happy Birthday, Face.

The vellum window in the card was inspired by Cindy Royal.  I thought that idea was so cute.  She is such a fabulous designer.  I used my imagine and the Greeting Cards Inside and Out cart for this one.  I love that cart.

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet, sweet story, thanks for sharing it with us! Your brother sounds like a wonderful guy...letting 3 kids get away with calling him Funny Face...I'm thankful for his sake that the "Fanny Face" didn't stick ;) Ok, this bag and card is just cute as can be. I don't have that cartridge and now I'm seriously wondering how I ever got along without it??? Really cute and just perfect for your sweet brother. Sending him birthday wishes from Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story, Diane!! Your brother sounds amazing!! I hope he had a wonderful birthday :) I love the pretty card...the vellum window is so awesome!! And the bag is fabulous!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - I can see that you have really been busy! This is an awesome and fun birthday gift set - love all of the special elements that you made for a very special uncle! Thank you for sharing your and your brother's stories!

    I have yet to buy this cart - but this is your project has definitely put me over the edge to update my Imagine and buy it! Love the vellum, the bag, and the candles! A perfect set for a perfect brother and uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane,missed you around blog land!
    What a lovely story!Really like your card and bag.
    Jaynex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious! Loving the card...You are so very talented!! I know your brother will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely set. I especially like the window you've added on the card.
    I loved reading your story, Diane. How wonderful that the doctors messed up on how long Dave would be with you. His birthday really is something to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a Wonderful story! I'm sure your brother LOVED this set.... Very cute and how lucky of you to get this cartridge! I've been wanting to get this Imagine cartridge... It's on my list! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome gift set! Such a sweet story and how lucky you are to have Dave as a brother! I am proud of you and love every little thing about you! You are my BAFF!

    ReplyDelete